Mount root error / New device numbering?

Fred Souza fred at storming.org
Fri May 14 03:17:09 UTC 2010

On Fri, May 14, 2010 at 00:06, Jeremy Chadwick <freebsd at jdc.parodius.com> wrote:
> There is probably an ata(4) device layer change which either fixes (yes
> really), breaks (possibly), or enhances (likely) support for your ATA or
> SATA controller.  This is pretty much how the ata(4) layer has behaved
> for years upon years -- that's just how it goes.  If this is your first
> time encountering it, congratulations.  :-)  The device names *should
> not* change on you once you stick with that kernel; it just indicates
> something changed between -RELEASE and -STABLE.

Hmmm.. Ok, then that may not be me messing up. Good news for me!.. I guess..

> I'd recommend booting/trying an actual 8.0-STABLE snapshot image from
> here:
>
> ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/snapshots/201004/
>
> This will allow you to boot and install 8.0-STABLE on your system.  You
> should see devices ad10 and ad16 there as well.  It would at least save
> you the pain of installing the kernel, rebooting, and finding you have
> to manually deal with /etc/fstab changes and so on.  Give this a shot
> first.
>
> It also might help in debugging the "stray IRQ" problem you see (it
> would be useful to know what's sitting on IRQ 21; it may be an unused
> device in your BIOS which you can disable there, or try to find a
> FreeBSD driver for the device which can attach to the IRQ).

I will try that, thank you very much. But as future reference.. Should
it work if I just get to that shell prompt, change /etc/fstab to match
those number changes and reboot? I'm asking because that sounded like
the way to go when I first encountered this problem, but I ended
making my system unusable. It is possible that I left anything out
when I tried that, or that I changed something incorrectly.. But the
idea should work, right?

Thank you,
Fred