Freebsd 8.0 kmem map too small

Ruben van Staveren ruben at verweg.com
Thu May 6 16:14:25 UTC 2010

On 5 May 2010, at 15:33, Pawel Jakub Dawidek wrote:

> Could you try to track down the commit that is causing your problems?
> Could you try 8-STABLE kernel from before r206815?

I do suspect something similar like that, and try to roll the kernel back too.
I was just fine with 8.0 with zfs-on-root till the last update when my typical workload (portupgrade every now and then, make world) resulted in kmem map too small panics and more sluggish performance (spending most time in zio->io_cv) during pkgdb -F on a i386 system with 2gb memory. I have 1gb memory sized amd64 vmware fusion vm's that run without incident using the same workload.

I had to bump KVA_PAGES to 512 and set vm.kmem_size=1024M to have this i386 system stable again. Prior to that I tried to lower the arc cache size but that resulted in a unresponsive system that I could not diagnose.

Regards,
	Ruben