upcoming 7.3-RELEASE: zfsloader doesn't support ZFS (doesn't link with libzfsboot)

Alexander Zagrebin alexz at visp.ru
Tue Mar 23 19:27:28 UTC 2010

> On Tuesday 23 March 2010 3:41:06 am Alexander Zagrebin wrote:
> > I have tried to build RELENG_7_3_0_RELEASE and have noticed
> that zfsloader
> > really doesn't supports ZFS due to incomplete Makefiles
> (LOADER_ZFS_SUPPORT
> > issue).
> > Will be this issue fixed in 7.3-RELEASE?
>
> Can you provide the output of the errors you are seeing?

There are no build errors.

IMHO, to support a ZFS, the loader have to be linked with the libzfsboot.
But (IMHO again) in the RELENG_7_3_0_RELEASE zfsloader builds without
this library.

To build zfsloader, the /usr/src/sys/boot/i386/zfsloader/Makefile contains
the following most important lines:

LOADER_ZFS_SUPPORT=yes
.include "${.CURDIR}/../loader/Makefile"

So the /usr/src/sys/boot/i386/loader/Makefile have to set required CFLAGS
and so on,
but it don't. It contains the folowing ZFS related lines:

# Set by zfsloader Makefile
#.if ${MK_ZFS} != "no"
#CFLAGS+=       -DLOADER_ZFS_SUPPORT
#LIBZFS=                ${.OBJDIR}/../../zfs/libzfsboot.a
#.else
LIBZFS=
#.endif

As you can see, all ZFS related stuff is commented out.
So "LOADER_ZFS_SUPPORT=yes" (/usr/src/sys/boot/i386/zfsloader/Makefile)
doesn't
affects a build process.

--
Alexander Zagrebin