panic - sleeping thread on FreeBSD 8.0-stable / amd64

Torfinn Ingolfsen torfinn.ingolfsen at broadpark.no
Sat Mar 13 17:33:01 UTC 2010

On Sat, 13 Mar 2010 08:38:48 -0800
Jeremy Chadwick <freebsd at jdc.parodius.com> wrote:

> That enclosure also doesn't state if it has a SAF-TE or SES-2 chip on
> it.  It's impossible to tell from the photos since the metallic
> enclosure cover up the backplane.

Unfortunately, the "manual" is very brief and lacks such technical details / specs.
This is  a very simple enclosure; I don't think it even has  any sensors except for the fan and temperature sensors,
which are available at the signal out connector on the backplane.

> If it does, such chips can/will yank devices off the bus when the chip
> considers the drive "faulty".  At least in the SCSI world with SES-2,

Well, the manual states that this is a host function:
<quote>
2.2 HDD FAIL system
2.2.1 This product can not provide the signal, unless the HOST supports this function.
2.2.2 If the Host can provide HDD fail signal, connect the cable to the HOST and to the backplane HDD FAIL 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5.
2.2.3 When the HDD is damaged, the light will show in red.
</quote>
There is a separate connector for HDD fail input signals on the backplane. There are also output signals for power, access for each drive.
The only thing I have connected the backplane is power (3 connectors) and sata (5 connectors).
Since each drive has its own sata connector there really shouldn't be any reason to disconnect drives, but I guess it is possible.

--
Torfinn