gptzfsboot dell r510 fails

Philip M. Gollucci pgollucci at p6m7g8.com
Tue Mar 2 02:07:01 UTC 2010

Hi All,

Dell r510
24GB RAM
8 disks in the following order
0-1 - 25gb ssd sas
2-7 - 136gb sas

http://svn.freebsd.org/base/releng/8.0@203057

which does not include
http://svn.freebsd.org/viewvc/base?view=revision&revision=199714

so following
http://wiki.freebsd.org/RootOnZFS/GPTZFSBoot/RAIDZ2
[/etc/src.conf: ZFS_LOADER_SUPPORT=true]

which I've gotten to work on 500+ dell machines on the above fbsd
version. [860,1435sc,1950,2950,2970,r710]

So I've setup the zpools via the livefs as

zroot (mirror)
   /dev/gpt/disk0 -> mfid2[p3]
   /dev/gpt/disk1 -> mfid3[p3]

zmysql (raidz1)
   /dev/mfid[4567]
   cache
     /dev/mfid[01]

I've selected the 3rd device in the perc h700 bios [mfid2]
to be the 'bios boot device' which amazingly to me actually worked.

During the boot I get to the standard

ROOT MOUNT ERROR:
set vfs.root.mountfrom.options=rw

Loader variables:
   vfs.root.mountfrom=zfs:zroot
   vfs.root.mountfrom.options

Manual root filesystem specification:

Is this setup even possible, or will I need to relocate the order of the
disks ?

For my next attempt, I'm going to try to move the ssds to slots 6,7 so
the boot devices are '0,1' which I know should work.

Failing that, I'll do hardware raid-1 on 0-1 and just a ZFS fs on them
on top.

Philip M. Gollucci (pgollucci at p6m7g8.com) c: 703.336.9354
VP Apache Infrastructure; Member, Apache Software Foundation
Committer,                        FreeBSD Foundation
Consultant,                       P6M7G8 Inc.
Sr. System Admin,                 Ridecharge Inc.

Work like you don't need the money,
love like you'll never get hurt,
and dance like nobody's watching.