Why is NFSv4 so slow? (root/toor)

Rick Macklem rmacklem at uoguelph.ca
Tue Jun 29 15:59:45 UTC 2010

On Tue, 29 Jun 2010, Rick C. Petty wrote:

> To be fair, I'm not sure this is even a problem.  Rick M. only suggested it
> as a possibility.  I would think that getpwuid() would return the first
> match which has always been root.  At least that's what it does when
> scanning the passwd file; I'm not sure about NIS.  If someone can prove
> that this will cause a problem with NFSv4, we could consider hackingit.
> Otherwise I don't think we should change this behavior yet.

I do know that it causes problems from my testing. I think getpwuid() gets
"toor" because of the way /etc/passwd gets stored in the database created
from it via "vipw".

I have no problem coding it as a special case for nfsuserd and documenting
it. I just won't guarantee how soon it will happen:-)

rick