Why is NFSv4 so slow? (root/toor)

Ian Smith smithi at nimnet.asn.au
Tue Jun 29 04:00:08 UTC 2010

On Mon, 28 Jun 2010, Rick Macklem wrote:
 > On Mon, 28 Jun 2010, Rick C. Petty wrote:
 >

 > > > Make sure you don't have multiple entries for the same uid, such as
 > > > "root"
 > > > and "toor" both for uid 0 in your /etc/passwd. (ie. get rid of one of
 > > > them, if you have both)
 > >
 > > Hmm, that's a strange requirement, since FreeBSD by default comes with
 > > both.  That should probably be documented in the nfsv4 man page.
 > >

 > Well, if the mapping from uid->name is not unique, getpwuid() will just
 > return one of them and it probably won't be the expected one. Having
 > both "root" and "toor" only cause weird behaviour when "root" tries to
 > use a mount point. I had thought it was in the man pages, but I now
 > see it isn't mentioned. I'll try and remember to add it.

Not wanting to hijack this (interesting) thread, but ..

I have to concur with Rick P - that's rather a odd requirement when each
FreeBSD install since at least 2.2 has come with root and toor (in that
order) in /etc/passwd.  I don't use toor, but often enough read about
folks who do, and don't recall it ever being an issue with NFSv3.  Are
you sure this is a problem that cannot be coded around in NFSv4?

cheers, Ian