portmaster on updates

Andriy Gapon avg at icyb.net.ua
Sun Jun 13 14:55:56 UTC 2010

on 13/06/2010 17:18 Nenhum_de_Nos said the following:
> ===>>> Creating a backup package for old version clutter-cairo-0.8.2_1
> pkg_delete: package 'clutter-cairo-0.8.2_1' is required by these other
> packages
> and may not be deinstalled (but I'll delete it anyway):
> gnome-games-2.26.3_1
>
> ===>>> Starting check for runtime dependencies
> ===>>> Gathering dependency list for graphics/clutter from ports
> ===>>> Starting dependency check
> ===>>> Dependency check complete for graphics/clutter
> ===>  Installing for clutter-1.2.8_1
> ===>   Generating temporary packing list
> ===>  Checking if graphics/clutter already installed
> ===>   clutter-1.2.8_1 is already installed
>       You may wish to ``make deinstall'' and install this port again
>       by ``make reinstall'' to upgrade it properly.
>       If you really wish to overwrite the old port of graphics/clutter
>       without deleting it first, set the variable "FORCE_PKG_REGISTER"
>       in your environment or the "make install" command line.
> *** Error code 1
>
> Stop in /usr/ports/graphics/clutter.
>
> ===>>> A backup package for clutter-cairo-0.8.2_1 should
>        be located in /usr/ports/packages/portmaster-backup
>
> ===>>> Installation of clutter-1.2.8_1 (graphics/clutter) failed
> ===>>> Aborting update
>
> ===>>> Update for clutter-cairo-0.8.2_1 failed
> ===>>> Aborting update
>
> ===>>> There are messages from installed ports to display,
>        but first take a moment to review the error messages
>        above.  Then press Enter when ready to proceed.
>
> I'm in an epic journey to update all packages on 8.0R (have gnome on it).
> I had to update png and gmp before this.
>
> portmaster says clutter is already installed, but as I am running

It's not portmaster, it is 'genuine' port infrastructure that tells you that.

> portmaster to update all ports, most packages are indeed already there.
> just need to pack a backup and install a new version ...
>
> how can I make portmaster run till all is updated ?

This could be a bad idea to leave unresolved issues behind.

This issue happens because 'parent port' clutter-cairo doesn't find something
that it expects from the 'child port' clutter, so it thinks that clutter is not
installed and tries to install it again.  But pkg system believes that clutter
is already installed.  You have to find out why...  Perhaps your clutter
installation is corrupted and you simply need to reinstall it.  Perhaps
dependency entry in clutter-cairo is incorrect, e.g. it expects clutter to
provide version N some shared lib, while in fact it provides version M.

--
Andriy Gapon