8.1 AMD64 Beta1 cd panics on Proliant ML110 G6

Jeremy Chadwick freebsd at jdc.parodius.com
Fri Jun 11 13:45:58 UTC 2010

On Fri, Jun 11, 2010 at 11:55:42AM +0200, Johan Hendriks wrote:
> >> Hello all.
> >>
> >> I try to install the Beta of 8.1 but it panics on my server HP
> Proliant ML110
> >> with the following.
> >>
> >> SMP: AP CPU #1 Launched!
> >>
> >> Fatal trap 12: page fault while in kernel mode
> >>
> >> cpuid = 1; apic id = 04
> >>
> >> fault virtual address                       = 0x290
> >>
> >> fault code                                  = supervisor read data,
> page not
> >> present
> >>
> >> instuction pointer                          = 0x20:0xffffffff805b03f6
> >>
> >> stack pointer                               = 0x28:0xffffff80001cebe0
> >>
> >> frame pointer                               = 0x28:0xffffff80001cec00
> >>
> >> code segment                                = base 0x0x, limit
> 0xfffff, type
> >> 0x1b
> >>
> >> =DPL 0, pres 1, long1,de32 0, gran 1
> >>
> >> proccessor eflags                           =interupt enabled,
> resume,IOPL =
> >> 0
> >>
> >> current process                             = 19 (flowcleaner)
> >>
> >> trap number                                 = 12
> >>
> >> panic: page fault
> >>
> >> cpuid = 1
>
> >Stacktrace would be helpful.
>
> Well at startup, the keyboard is not working, i can not select any boot
> mode, and after the timer is at 0 ti boots, and then ends with this
> panic, and totally hangs.
> 8.0 works fine also CURRENT Works!

Regarding the keyboard not working -- it should still be working during
the loader phase (FreeBSD logo, press 4 for single user, etc.), correct?

If so, two things to try.  Escape to the loader prompt and try one of
the below (if (a) doesn't work, try (b)):

a) set hint.kbdmux.0.disabled=1
   boot

b) set hint.atkbd.0.disabled=1
   set hint.atkbdc.0.disabled=1
   boot

Hopefully one of these will allow your keyboard to continue functioning
once the system panics, so that you can provide a backtrace.  Thanks.