extremely strange results with "mail" or "make" after one day uptime

Harald Schmalzbauer h.schmalzbauer at omnilan.de
Thu Jun 10 08:10:43 UTC 2010

Hello all,

I have absolutley no idea how it comes:
After one or two days of uptime, 'make -j3 buildworld' just returns
without any error but without doing anything.
Also sending mail via 'mail' produces mutilatet output: no valid rcpt,
no subject.
When I reboot the machine everything is fine again.
Daily status reports also stop working; that's how I found this
absolutley mysterious spookie thing.
And: sshguard destroys hosts.allow. It's suddenly empty.
The jails don't seem to suffer form that ghost.
My setup:
8.1-prerelease on amd64 with _read-only_ / (and unionfs /etc), and
dozends of ZFS filesystems for jails.

Where to start to debug?

Any hints highly appreciated.

-Harry