resolver refresh

Mark Lokowich mlokowich at compellent.com
Fri Jul 30 18:47:58 UTC 2010

I've found that changes to resolv.conf on a 7.2 and 8.0 system are not
propagated through the resolver for a running process.   If your process
needs to query a revised DNS server entry, it must call res_init prior
to any gethost* syscalls, or you will get responses from the "stale" server.
   I've been using the NSS plug-in solution posted in 2006, but it's a
hard sell without some community blessing.
   http://www.mail-archive.com/freebsd-stable@freebsd.org/msg78275.html
Can anyone tell me why the resolver behaves this way, if there are plans
to change it in a future release, and if the NSS resinit plug-in will be
committed to the stable branch?
   fwiw: Linux (glibc) does NOT behave this way.

Thanks,
Mark