possible regression - rum ap problem under 8.1R

Nenhum_de_Nos matheus at eternamente.info
Tue Jul 27 22:31:41 UTC 2010

hail,

I have a small mini itx, crusoe based, and it was running pfSense 1.2.3R
(FreeBSD 7.2). there was an ap using tp-link tl-wn321 usb adapter. no
problems. I then installed 8.1R and tried the same config, and got kernel
panic. Installed 7.2R (no patches applied) and it is working.

the only info is that 7.2R does not load acpi, but I tried this on 8.1R to
no avail. with acpi 7.2R would not use my integrated nic.

it complaints about no dump device and I imagine there is no dump.

is this known ?
what info can I get to help ?

how I create the ap on 7.2R:

ifconfig rum0 inet 192.168.12.254/24
ifconfig rum0 ssid rush
ifconfig rum0 mediaopt hostap
ifconfig rum0 up

/etc/rc.d/hostapd restart

the hostapd.conf:

# Interface to use as an accesspoint
interface=rum0

# Driver interface type (hostap/wired/madwifi; default: hostap)
# If you use Atheros-based card then use the madwifi driver
driver=bsd

# Logging and debugging settings: more of this in original config file
logger_syslog=-1
logger_syslog_level=2
logger_stdout=-1
logger_stdout_level=2
debug=0
dump_file=/tmp/hostapd.dump

# SSID to use. This will be the "name" of the accesspoint
ssid=rush

# WPA settings. We'll use stronger WPA2
# bit0 = WPA
# bit1 = IEEE 802.11i/RSN (WPA2) (dot11RSNAEnabled)
wpa=2

# Preshared key of between 8-63 ASCII characters.
# If you define the key in here, make sure that the file is not readable
# by anyone but root. Alternatively you can use a separate file for the
# key; see original hostapd.conf for more information.
#wpa_passphrase=fdajk5akj32j9fdakfj3r0jfakjf3akljf3a30rfal3rj0a3fjkaj3alk
wpa_psk_file=/etc/hostapd/wpa_psk

# Key management algorithm. In this case, a simple pre-shared key (PSK)
wpa_key_mgmt=WPA-PSK

# The cipher suite to use. We want to use stronger CCMP cipher.
wpa_pairwise=CCMP

# Change the broadcasted/multicasted keys after this many seconds.
wpa_group_rekey=600

# Change the master key after this many seconds. Master key is used as a
basis
# (source) for the encryption keys.
wpa_gmk_rekey=86400

on 8.1R:

wlans_rum0="wlan0"
ifconfig_wlan0="inet 192.168.12.254"
create_args_wlan0="wlanmode ap ssid rush"
hostapd_enable="YES"

the hostapd.conf is the same, just change wlan0 to rum0. both load
wlan_ccmp and wlan_xauth on boot.

thanks,

matheus

--