gpart -b 34 versus gpart -b 1024

Stefan Esser se at FreeBSD.org
Mon Jul 26 18:12:34 UTC 2010

Am 26.07.2010 03:07, schrieb perryh at pluto.rain.com:
> Dmitry Morozovsky <marck at rinet.ru> wrote:
>> ... sector numbers (in CHS address method)
>> [start] at 1 (which always suprized me ;)
>
> This goes back at least as far as soft-sectored 8" diskettes
> in the CP/M era.
>
> IIRC, physical sector 0 of each track contained the C number,
> possibly the H, and a list of the remaining sectors on the track
> including the size of each sector -- even within a single track
> the sectors did not all have to be the same size.

This is extremely off-topic, and therefor, I´ll only say,
that the above is not true for 8" diskettes nor for CP/M.
I can only guess, that there is a track 0 and not a sector
with that number because the first track was reserved for
system internal use (e.g. held at least the CCP in case of
CP/M). I´m quite sure, that FDCs generally supported sector
numbers from 0 to 254 (with 255 reserved as a wildcard in
certain commands). But this is all really off-topic ...

Regards, STefan