no updates?

Jeremy Chadwick freebsd at jdc.parodius.com
Sun Jul 25 15:39:38 UTC 2010

On Wed, Jul 21, 2010 at 01:13:01PM -0700, Chip Camden wrote:
> This is probably a stupid question, but I haven't received any csup
> updates for a couple of days now, even though I've seen quite a few
> commits on the list.  I'm using the cvs tag=RELENG_8
>
> I've tried both cvsup4.freebsd.org and cvsup10.freebsd.org (my two
> fastest connections).
>
> Are the mirrors just having a hard time keeping up?  Or do I need to
> change my configuration?

Your configuration looks fine -- given the hostname, I assume you're
using variables in /etc/make.conf (ex. SUPHOST) to define the cvsup
server's name and allow you to do "make update" in /usr/src and the
like.

The only thing I can think of is: when you installed FreeBSD, did you
choose to install ports and src?  If so, prior to running csup, did you
"adopt" your existing data?

http://www.cvsup.org/faq.html#caniadopt

If not, I imagine what's happened is that the contents of /usr/src don't
match what's in /var/db/sup/src-all.

If you don't want to bother with adoption, you can do the following (be
sure to back up your kernel configuration file first, unless you do what
I do and use a symlink :-) ) to start over completely:

rm -fr /usr/src/*
rm -fr /var/db/sup/src-all
csup -h {server} -L 2 /usr/share/examples/cvsup/stable-supfile

(Or standard-supfile, depending on what tag you want to follow)

For this reason I don't choose src or ports when installing FreeBSD.
I populate /usr/src and /usr/ports after the OS is installed, using
csup.  I've never had a single problem since.