Problems replacing failing drive in ZFS pool

John Hawkes-Reed hirez at libeljournal.com
Mon Jul 19 20:33:19 UTC 2010

On 19/07/2010 17:52, Garrett Moore wrote:
> I'm nervous to trust the hotswap features and camcontrol to set things up
> properly, but I guess I could try it. When I first set the system up before
> I put data on the array I tried the hotswap functionality and drives
> wouldn't always re-attach when reinserted, even if I fiddled with
> camcontrol, but I can't remember exactly what I did then.

We've a pair of medium-sized ZFS boxes with Supermicro boards (X8DTi,
IIRC) in hotswap chassis. They've both got one hot-spare drive. Well, I
say 'hot spare'. I mean 'Ought to be a hot-spare if my shoddy Perl works
when triggered by devd'. What we've found to work is this:

Drive fails (thus far simulated by pulling the drive from the backplane)
ZFS error reported. Pool in degraded state.
'zpool replace pool da9 da23' (Where da23 is the hot spare and where
this *should* happen automagically.)
Wait for resilvering.
Go on and swap the failed drive (da9 in this case)
'camcontrol rescan all' (new drive shows up in /var/log/messages)
'zpool replace da9'
Wait while resilvering happens.
Hot-swap drive returns to 'avail' status.

[ ... ]

--
JH-R