Problems replacing failing drive in ZFS pool

Freddie Cash fjwcash at gmail.com
Mon Jul 19 15:45:46 UTC 2010

On Mon, Jul 19, 2010 at 8:21 AM, Garrett Moore <garrettmoore at gmail.com> wrote:
> I have an 8-drive ZFS array consisting of WD15EADS drives. One of my disks
> has started to fail, so I got a replacement disk. I have replaced a disk
> before by:
>
>  zpool offline tank /dev/da5
> shutting down, swapping from old disk to new disk
> booting
>  zpool replace tank /dev/da5
>
> This worked fine.
>
> This time the failing disk was da3, and I tried the same thing:
>  zpool offline tank /dev/da3
> zpool status showed da3 offline.
> shut down, swapped old disk to new disk.

For some reason, ZFS is getting confused by the device names, possibly
due to the controller renumbering device nodes?

Try the following:
  zpool offline tank /dev/da3
  zpool status tank                           to make sure it offlined
the correct drive
  zpool export tank                           might have to do this
from single-user mode
  reboot

  zpool import tank                           this forces ZFS to
re-taste each drive to read the metadata
  zpool replace tank /dev/da3            this should force it to use
the correct drive

Note:  if you have / on ZFS, the above may not be doable.

--
Freddie Cash
fjwcash at gmail.com