deadlock or bad disk ? RELENG_8

Jeremy Chadwick freebsd at jdc.parodius.com
Mon Jul 19 04:11:51 UTC 2010

On Sun, Jul 18, 2010 at 08:58:44PM -0700, Jeremy Chadwick wrote:
> I took a look at the RELENG_8 code responsible for printing this
> message: src/sys/vm/swap_pager.c
>
> [...]
> 1086 static int
> 1087 swap_pager_getpages(vm_object_t object, vm_page_t *m, int count, int reqpage)
> 1088 {
> [...]

There was a change to this piece of code on May 13th.  See commit
1.312.2.4 below:

http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/src/sys/vm/swap_pager.c

Before I pull in kib@ or alc@ to help determine if what was introduced
could cause what you're seeing, can you clarify this point?

> FreeBSD 8.1-PRERELEASE #0: Tue Jul 13 09:55:48 EDT 2010
>      mdtancsa at backup3.sentex.ca:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/backup amd64
> [...]
> Its never been an issue in the past 2yrs.  The same box was RELENG_7
> for some time and then in the past 3 months updated to RELENG_8.

Has this system run a previous version of RELENG_8 within the past 3
months, or are you seeing this issue "as a result of upgrading from
RELENG_7 to RELENG_8"?