FreeBSD RELEASE-8.0-p3 panic

Masoom Shaikh masoom.shaikh at gmail.com
Thu Jul 15 17:13:07 UTC 2010

Howdy,

here is the image of my FreeBSD panic
http://images.cjb.net/d64f4.jpg

the error says RAM parity error(not visible in pic). but I have
following reasons to believed it could be wrong

1. I have 1GB of RAM, with two chips of 512MB each. It panics even if
I boot with only 512MB of total RAM. i.e. one chip removed. It panics
for both chips individually.
2. I tried replacing my both 512MB chips with two 512MB chips from my
friends laptop, it still panics with exact same error. RAM parity
error, it is very unlikely that his chips have this problem. He runs
Ubuntu on those chips and Windows7 with no issues whatsoever.
3. Windows7 operates on this(my) laptop just fine.

sometimes it take 3-4 attempts to boot it, since it panics the moment
KDM tries to load. But once running it runs few hours if I do not
subject it to load. Even moderate load like browsing some  multimedia
content websites, e.g. youtube or some site with lots of flash based
ads or even some javascript heavy page like GMail etc... It appears
the moment I start subjecting the machine to load, mem usage increases
and it hits the part of RAM which might possibly have parity error.

have a look at the pic, the frame pointer is always remains same
0xffffffff803f1ef1. I have already asked, and again ask, is there a
way to ask FreeBSD to "ignore" some part of RAM ? how do I zero in on
the exact point of failure ? I am aware, just too many variables are
here, some wild guesses ?

I am very sorry for my feeble OS debugging skills if any, but FreeBSD
has nothing to do with my day job, it is just a hobby for me. I
sincerely want it to work.

regards,
Masoom Shaikh