net-booting the install disks (Re: 8.x grudges)

Marian Hettwer MH at kernel32.de
Mon Jul 12 18:22:17 UTC 2010

  Hi Adam,

Am 12.07.10 19:11, schrieb Adam Vande More:

> Automated installations have existed on FreeBSD for a long time.  You can do
> this either via netboot or CD based media.  Also rolling your own FreeBSD
> media with custom changes is trivial compared the linux distro's I'm familar
> with.  I haven't used kickstart but I will say the FreeBSD method is easier
> to work with than the Debian FIA method.  Plus there are many post-install
> configuration utilites like puppet to further automate stuff.

I actually like the principle of FAI configspace that much, that a
colleague of mine and myself ported the underlying FAI to OpenBSD.
I tend to say, that configuring a server with FAI is way easier than
with puppet.

I'd love to pxeboot a minimal freebsd with a ramdisk and a base set of
utilities to use FAI there too, however, my last attempts of doing that
with FreeBSD failed.

But your opinion may vary, of course :)

> This page is pretty well out of date, but the concepts remain the same.  You
> can look at the work MFSBSD has done if you interested and there are more up
> to date howto floating around the www.

humm... what is MFSBSD?

Cheers,
Marian