Authentication tried for XXX with correct key but not from a permitted host

Dan Langille dan at langille.org
Sun Jul 11 03:04:59 UTC 2010

This is more for the record than asking a specific question.

Today I upgraded a system to FreeBSD 8.1-PRERELEASE.  Then I started
seeing these messages when I ssh to said box with an ssh-agent enabled
connection:

Jul 11 03:43:06 ngaio sshd[30290]: Authentication tried for dan with
correct key but not from a permitted host (host=laptop.example.org,
ip=10.0.0.100).

Jul 11 03:43:07 ngaio sshd[30290]: Authentication tried for dan with
correct key but not from a permitted host (host=laptop.example.org,
ip=10.0.0.100).

Jul 11 03:43:07 ngaio sshd[30290]: Accepted publickey for dan from
10.0.0.100 port 53525 ssh2

My questions were:

1 - how do I set a permitted host?
2 - why is the message logged twice?

That asked, I know if I move the key to the top of the
~/.ssh/authorized_keys file, the message is no longer logged. Further
investigation reveals that if a line of the form:

from="10..etc"

appears before the key being used to log in, the message will appear.

Solution: move the from= line to the  bottom of the file.  Ugly, but it
works.

--
Dan Langille - http://langille.org/