8.x grudges

Marian Hettwer MH at kernel32.de
Thu Jul 8 10:54:18 UTC 2010

Am 07.07.10 22:52, schrieb Mikhail T.:
> 07.07.2010 16:34, Randi Harper ???????(??):
>>
>>> Attached is the kernel config-file (i386), that worked fine under
>>> 7.x. The
>>> kernel-compile will break (some *freebsd7* structs undefined),
>>> without the
>>> COMPAT_FREEBSD7 option. Try it for yourself...
>> Don't use a kernel config from 7. We've already told you this.
> Your "telling" me this is just as valid as warning me against using
> computer-cases of a particular color. It is a silly requirement. My
> expecting things, that worked for 7, to work in 8 is reasonable. There
> may be (documented!) exceptions, but it ought to "just work".
No. Your expectation is plain wrong. The opposite should be true. If you
do a major upgrade (and moving from 7.x to 8 is a major upgrade) you
should expect all kinds of changes.
What you can expect is, that they're documented in the release notes.
This would be a fine gesture of the FreeBSD community.
And since I use FreeBSD since 4.0, I can tell, that the documentation of
changes is remarkable.
If you expect that things continue to work after a major upgrade you
really live in some kind of a dreamworld...

>> These changes aren't gratuitous. Did you read the commit messages
>> behind each of the changes? I'm guessing that you haven't.
> No, and I'm not going to. A commercial OS would've been the laughing
> stock, if one hand to change C: to 1: between releases, for example...
Ah! But changing the $HOME of users of that commercial OS from
c:\Documents and Settings\ to c:\Users is okay, right?
Wake up man!

>>> Again: this particular change seems gratuitous.
>> It's not. You didn't bother researching before complaining.
> I bothered to type up my list. Presumably, problem-reports are
> welcome. I've been a Unix-user since 1990, a FreeBSD user since 1993
> (or 94?), and a project-member for a decade. If *I* have a problem,
> then newer users certainly will too. And, guess what, they'll simply
> go with something, that does not give as much grief...
Then they should do. pfff...
I'd like to see them using Linux, which obviously never changes
arbitrary... ha.
And if you're a unix user since the 1990'ies then you really should know
better.

>> The modification should be necessary.
> Why? Why should a netboot act differently from a local boot from CD?
Because it's a completely different type of booting? Oh come one...

> You don't. But there is very little, that needs to be added there for
> it to "just work" over both netboot and local CD, and you should do
> it, instead of arguing with me here... No, I don't know, what it is
> exactly, but I'm quite certain, it can't be very much.
If it's that important to you, then send in a patch. As a FreeBSD user
since 1993 (or 94) you could do your beloved OS a favor, right?

>> In fact, the article about PXE booting on the official freebsd
>> website says
>> nothing about using the ISO. You just found some article that said it
>> was possible (and it is) and complained because you didn't like the
>> process?
> Yes, exactly. I didn't like process -- it is needlessly complicated.
> The same CD-image, /should/ also be usable "out of the box" for
> netbooting.
Then make it work, for f*cks sake!

>> > From the man page:
>>
>>       The amdtemp driver provides support for the on-die digital
>> thermal sensor
>>       present in AMD K8, K10 and K11 processors.
> I know nothing about the driver. But a utility I regularly used
> stopped working after upgrade, so I added that to my list of
> upgrade-related grudges.

As an old fashioned unix guru you should know lots and lots about the
driver. Or at least, as a minimum, you should be aware of the available
manpage for a utility you're using regularly!

Cheers!
./Marian