8.0 network problem

David Warren davideugenewarren at gmail.com
Wed Jul 7 01:08:03 UTC 2010

Hi all,

     Max was on to something when he wrote:

"Furthermore, remember that the OP can move to another NIC and the problem
goes away[1]. I know there have been issues in the past reported with em(4)
and pf ALTQ, but that isn't in use here."

     In fact, when I was testing possible firewall issues I had simply
turned off pf rather than switched NICs.  Swapping nfe0 and em0 into the
int_if and ext_if roles, respectively, seems to have remedied the problem.
This means that at least some of the problems that I was encountering
stemmed from em's interactions with my Intel NIC, or em in combination with
pf, or something along.  I'm perplexed about the issue, but I'm satisfied
with the network performance that I've got now.  Notably, none of the
changes to pf when em was still the internal interface had a substantial
effect.  I'd be happy to run more tests on the original setup if anyone
wants to chase down whatever was causing those problems.  Let me know, and
many thanks to all.  Take care,

Dave

--
Post-doctoral Fellow