Unable to boot FreeBSD 8.0-p3

Lowell Gilbert freebsd-stable-local at be-well.ilk.org
Thu Jul 1 18:30:23 UTC 2010

GNUbie <gnubie at gmail.com> writes:

> I realized that choosing fixit, it doesn't know that the LiveFS cd is
> inside an external USB DVD drive which I cannot mount the filesystem
> on my HDD.

I can't parse that  sentence well enough to figure out what you mean.

Taking a wild guess:  I think what you want to do is mount the hard disk
on the fixit filesystem (which is actually in memory, if I recall
correctly).  That's no problem: you can fsck the hard disk's partitions
easily from the fixit environment, and having done that, you can just
mount them.  They won't be mounted in their "normal" place, but you can
mount, for example, the root filesystem from the hard disk on /mnt, then
/usr on /mnt/usr, etc.