kernel issues with 8 STABLE

Garrett Cooper yanefbsd at gmail.com
Thu Jul 1 18:06:35 UTC 2010

On Thu, Jul 1, 2010 at 7:58 AM, Jeremy Chadwick
<freebsd at jdc.parodius.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 01, 2010 at 03:04:56PM +0100, Tom Evans wrote:
>> On Wed, Jun 30, 2010 at 1:16 PM, Free BSD <freebsd at vfemail.net> wrote:
>> > Dear List Members
>> > Also, even though I have custom keyboard in my kernel configuration,
>> > whenever I boot into single user mode I get US layout (it works fine when in
>> > multi-user mode).
>>
>> Does it work correctly if you run kbdmap and choose the correct
>> layout? If so, set keymap in /etc/rc.conf so it is always configured
>> correctly.
>
> AFAIK this only applies to multi-user mode.  rc scripts (thus use of
> rc.conf), to my knowledge, aren't run in single-user.

Depending on what's going on, I've run rc scripts in single user mode
to diagnose issues and/or get my machine(s) up to limping state, but
by and large that's not a supported model (and thus I have booted my
machine into quasi-multiuser mode).

Just wanted to say that there are other folks out there using rc
scripts for `non-standard' multiuser scenarios :).

Thanks,
-Garrett