immense delayed write to file system (ZFS and UFS2), performance issues

Dan Naumov dan.naumov at gmail.com
Wed Jan 27 00:45:28 UTC 2010

>I have a WD2003FYPS sitting in a system, to be used for testing.  Bought it
>just before this thread started, and here's what it looks like right now:
>
> 9 Power_On_Hours          0x0032   100   100   000    Old_age   Always -       508
>193 Load_Cycle_Count      0x0032   200   200   000    Old_age   Always -       2710
>
>This drive is sitting, unused, with no filesystem, and I've performed
>approximately zero writes to the disk.
>
>Having a script kick off and write to a disk will help so long as that
>disk is writable; if it's being used as a hot spare in a raidz array, it's
>not going to help much.

I wouldn't worry in your particular case. A value of 2710 in 508 hours
is a rate of 5,33/hour. At this rate, it's going to take you 56285
hours or 2345 days to reach 300,000 and most disks will likely
function past 400,000 (over 600,000 all bets are off though). The
people who need(ed) to worry were people like me, who were seeing the
rate increase at a rate of 43+ per hour.

- Sincerely,
Dan Naumov