ZFS "zpool replace" problems

Gerrit Kühn gerrit at pmp.uni-hannover.de
Tue Jan 26 16:42:06 UTC 2010

On Tue, 26 Jan 2010 08:27:37 -0800 Jeremy Chadwick
<freebsd at jdc.parodius.com> wrote about Re: ZFS "zpool replace" problems:

JC> Well, to be fair, we can't be 100% certain he got bit by that bug.
JC> It's possible/likely, but we don't know for certain at this point.  We
JC> also don't know what brand hard disks he had connected to ad16 and/or
JC> ad18.

The same as on the others (WD RE2GP), just with the updated firmware
(02.01B02 that is) to get rid of the lcc problem.

JC> Older Silicon Image controllers are known for..... well, just read the
JC> Wikipedia entry for details.
JC> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silicon_Image_Inc.#Product_alerts

I knew the card is not top of the line, but I didn't know that it
is /that/ bad. When I set up the system 1 or 2 years ago, I just thought
it might be nice to be able to use the two extra slots in case of any
drives having to be replaced or so and the card was just lying aroung
(well, maybe I have an idea now why nobody else wanted to use it :-).

I guess I will try to offline the hotspare slot (connected to the mcp55 on
the motherboard) and plug the replacement disk in there. Maybe zfs
recognizes it and picks up the resilvering there. Otherwise I'll have to
look into how to get rid of the degraded resilvering process and restart it
with the drive in the other slot.

JC> As others have stated already: Intel could make a fortune off of a
JC> simple PCIe or PCI-X SATA controller card that's ICH9/ICH10-based.

Indeed. I use these 8-channel Supermicro-Controller (I think I recommended
them some time ago here) with LSI chipset that work really nicely. But
the backet does not fit into standard slots and there is no PCI-X version.
I would certainly prefer a regular card by Intel.

cu
  Gerrit