8.0-RELEASE -> -STABLE and size of /

Oliver Brandmueller ob at e-Gitt.NET
Tue Jan 26 16:03:40 UTC 2010

Hi,

On Sat, Jan 23, 2010 at 04:20:54PM -0800, Kevin Oberman wrote:
> Also, at the start of this thread, the OP said that he did a buildkernel
> and a buildworld. This is broken and may produce a non-bootable
> kernel. Always buildworld and then buildkernel so that the new toolchain
> is used to build the kernel. (This also has nothing to do with the
> original issue of the amount of space in the root partition being too
> small for amd64 systems, but I am hoping to avoid future issues.)

I did both in the right order (first buildworld, then buildkernel). The
kernel was OK and bootable. I hd no problem, just experienced something
that in my opinion violates POLA. buildworld + buildkernel +
installkernel should not produce an error for a fresh default
installation.

I think we all agreee on that.

You can try this easily with an amd64 8.0-RELEASE.

- Oliver

--
| Oliver Brandmueller          http://sysadm.in/         ob at sysadm.in |
|                        Ich bin das Internet. Sowahr ich Gott helfe. |