8.0-RELEASE/amd64 - full ZFS install - low read and write disk performance

Alexander Motin mav at FreeBSD.org
Mon Jan 25 20:34:58 UTC 2010

Chris Whitehouse wrote:
> Dan Naumov wrote:
>>
>> CPU-performance-wise, I am not really worried. The current system is
>> an Atom 330 and even that is a bit overkill for what I do with it and
>> from what I am seeing, the new Atom D510 used on those boards is a
>> tiny bit faster. What I want and care about for this system are
>> reliability, stability, low power use, quietness and fast disk
>> read/write speeds. I've been hearing some praise of ICH9R and 6 native
>> SATA ports should be enough for my needs. AFAIK, the Intel 82574L
>> network cards included on those are also very well supported?
>
> These might be interesting then
> www.fit-pc.com
> The Intel US15W SCH chipset or System Controller Hub as it's called is
> mentioned in hardware notes for 8.0R and 7.2R but only for snd_hda, I
> don't know if this means other functions are supported or not. This
> thread says it is supported
> http://mail-index.netbsd.org/port-i386/2010/01/03/msg001695.html

Intel US15W (SCH) chipset heavily stripped and tuned for netbooks. It
has no SATA, only one PATA channel. It is mostly supported by FreeBSD,
but with exception of video, which makes it close to useless. it has
only one benefit - low power consumption.

--
Alexander Motin