8.0-RELEASE -> -STABLE and size of /

Steven Friedrich freebsd at insightbb.com
Sat Jan 23 03:20:34 UTC 2010

On Friday 22 January 2010 06:32:02 pm Oliver Brandmueller wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Fri, Jan 22, 2010 at 03:56:31PM -0500, Steven Friedrich wrote:
> > in your /etc/make.conf, do you have a line like:
> > makeoptions	DEBUG=-g
> > if so, comment it out.
>
> The GENEREIC kernel by default has the following config:
>
> makeoptions     DEBUG=-g                # Build kernel with gdb(1) debug
>  symbols
>
> You don't need anything special in your make.conf
>
> In fact having the debug symbols is useful in many cases. So raising the
> default size for the / partition might be the better option (OK, doesn't
> help for already installed systems of course).
>
> - Oliver

I'm sorry.  My response to him should have been more precise.
I was trying to clue him in on how to build a non-debug kernel, but my answer
was in fact wrong.
I said he may have a line in make.conf, but that was a mistake. I pulled the
line from a kernel config file.
If he wants to build a kernel with no symbols, as he stated he does, he needs
to comment out the line and build a kernel. Could buildworld and installworld,
too.
But he and I went off topic. I should have changed the subject line to start a
new thread to discuss building without symbols. He was complaining that it
wasn't in the FAQ or the handbook. It's in GENERIC, which is required reading
if you're ever going to build custom kernels.

As for the main topic, I have been making 4GB root partitions for some time.
Our disk requirements have been soaring over the last decade, while cost per
MB have plummeted. I don't want to have to guess what sizes each partition
should be.