immense delayed write to file system (ZFS and UFS2), performance issues

Michael Loftis mloftis at wgops.com
Wed Jan 20 01:55:07 UTC 2010

--On Wednesday, January 20, 2010 1:16 AM +0100 "O. Hartmann"
<ohartman at mail.zedat.fu-berlin.de> wrote:

> This could end in a bad situation, where one process writes a files, say
> with some arbitrary stuff and another successing process is intended to
> read this file. even if the processes are run serial, those 'delays'
> could break the chain! The delay situation in a development environment
> is harsh, but in other circumstances it could develop very bad.

The read occurs from the write cache.  Thus the reader would see the
writers data (given the usual POSIX semantics).  ZFS delayed writes are
handled by the cache/ZIL layers, reads and writes go through these layers.
The ZIL is normally written very quickly.

ZFS actually (through the ZIL) has better journalling and recovery
semantics than most journalling filesystems.