ZFS performance degradation over time

Norbert Papke npapke at acm.org
Mon Jan 18 16:29:49 UTC 2010

On January 17, 2010, Garrett Moore wrote:
> I upgraded my system to 8GB of ram to see if that would help. It hasn't
>  made much of a difference. After having rTorrent running for a while, my
>  performance again tanked. Around 6.5GB of memory was showing as 'Active'
>  according to top.

6.5GB of "active" memory seems to imply that a user process is growing or a
large number of user processes are being created.  I would expect ZFS's cache
to increase the size of "wired" memory.

Sorry, I have not followed this thread closely.  Are you sure that the
degradation is ZFS related?  Could it be caused by, for instance, a userland
memory leak?  What happens to active memory when you restart rtorrent?

Cheers,

-- Norbert Papke.
   npapke at acm.org

http://saveournet.ca
Protecting your Internet's level playing field