About nice(1), renice(8) and ULE scheduler

Jordi Espasa Clofent jespasac at minibofh.org
Fri Jan 15 13:54:07 UTC 2010

HI all,

I've realized that the nice(1) code hasn't been modified for a long time
(last code change seems from 4 years ago according the sources).

¿Is the nice(1) behaviour the expected? I mean, ¿Has been the ULE
scheduler adapted to nice(1) command or not?

nice(1) is a very old command based on old concepts and created in times
when SMP didn't exist. So ¿it works correctly when a modern an
re-designed scheduler as ULE is used?

Maybe I have to read again this paper:
http://www.usenix.org/event/bsdcon03/tech/full_papers/roberson/roberson.pdf

--
I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that
brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass

Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear.