sendmail replacement

Matthew Seaman m.seaman at infracaninophile.co.uk
Wed Jan 13 11:32:32 UTC 2010

S.N.Grigoriev wrote:

> I would like to know if there is a way to completely
> replace the base sendmail with a ports one. The goal
> is to have corresponding files on the traditional places
> (not in /usr/local) and to use the system sendmail
> startup script but not /usr/local/etc/rc.d/sendmail.sh.

That's not the usual approach with sendmail, unlike several other software packages.

Because of the existence of mailer.conf(5) you can achieve equivalent
functionality without overwriting the base system sendmail. With the
following contents:

% cat /etc/mail/mailer.conf
# $FreeBSD: src/etc/mail/mailer.conf,v 1.3.36.1 2009/08/03 08:13:06 kensmith Exp $
#
# Execute the "real" sendmail program, named /usr/libexec/sendmail/sendmail
#
sendmail        /usr/local/sbin/sendmail
send-mail       /usr/local/sbin/sendmail
mailq           /usr/local/sbin/sendmail
newaliases      /usr/local/sbin/sendmail
hoststat        /usr/local/sbin/sendmail
purgestat       /usr/local/sbin/sendmail

all sendmail related commands are mapped onto the ports version of sendmail,
installed under LOCALBASE=/usr/local as usual.  These commands are in fact
exactly the same wrapper scripts as used with the system sendmail. With this
setup it is not necessary to use the init script provided by the sendmail port:
simply adding

sendmail_enable="YES"

to /etc/rc.conf will now cause the ports version of sendmail to be started
using /etc/rc.d/sendmail.  In addition, the following entries in /etc/make.conf
will allow rebuild sendmail configurations and db maps using the Makefile in
/etc/mail:

WITH_SENDMAIL_PORT=     yes
SENDMAIL_CF_DIR=        /usr/local/share/sendmail/cf
MAKEMAP=                /usr/local/sbin/makemap

Finally, adding

WITHOUT_SENDMAIL=yes

to /etc/src.conf will suppress building sendmail as part of the base system,
while still building and installing the mailwrapper commands.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

                                                  Flat 3
                                                  Kent, CT11 9PW