Multiple serial consoles via null modem cable

Marten Vijn info at martenvijn.nl
Tue Jan 12 22:30:19 UTC 2010

On Tue, 2010-01-12 at 17:14 +0200, Marin Atanasov wrote:
> Hello there,
>
> I'd like to ask you about the following - is it possible to have multiple
> serial consoles coming from a single host?
>
> What I am talking about is connecting multiple machines using a null modem
> cable - I know it is possible only to connect two machines and they need to
> be connected on sio0 (COM1).
>
> I'm thinking about the following situation - 1 system acting like a host
> with a serial port hub, each port of the hub is connected to a different
> machine on sio0, using null modem cables.
>
> This would make the first machine something like a cheaper kind of a
> terminal concentrator :)
>
> What do you think, have someone tried this and is it possible at all?

I have a dozen UBS2serial (uplcom) up 24/7 over more than 6 months, on
8.0 (NanoBSD on ITX-board) in our serverrooms. They work pretty stable
and are dead cheap. Max 20 Euro per line, including a null-modem
adapter.

like:
http://www.gridconnect.com/numomatomadb.html
or
http://www.buyextras.com/numoaddb9fef.html

I payed about ~3 dollars per adapter. (shipping to Europe was most
expensive)

Kind regards,
Marten