Multiple serial consoles via null modem cable

Charles Sprickman spork at bway.net
Tue Jan 12 19:50:31 UTC 2010

On Tue, 12 Jan 2010, Charles Sprickman wrote:

> On Jan 12, 2010, at 12:04 PM, Boris Samorodov <bsam at ipt.ru> wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 12 Jan 2010 17:14:44 +0200 Marin Atanasov wrote:
>>
>>> I'm thinking about the following situation - 1 system acting like a host
>>> with a serial port hub, each port of the hub is connected to a different
>>> machine on sio0, using null modem cables.
>>
>> Along with milti-io serial cards we use multi-usb serial
>> converters, such as SUNIX UTS7009P (7 USB to serial adapter):
>> http://www.sunix.com.tw/it/en/LinkCraft/UTS4009P_UTS7009P.htm
>>

> I need to look it up when I'm in front of a real computer, but there are a
> number of reasonably priced multport USB to serial converters out there.

Here we go:

http://www.usbgear.com/USB-Serial.html

Some very cool stuff there.  They also list the chipset used in some of
those so you have some idea if it will work with FreeBSD.  I think Vixie
originally pointed me to this model:

http://www.usbgear.com/computer_cable_details.cfm?sku=USB-16COM-RM&cats=199&catid=493%2C494%2C474%2C199%2C461%2C106%2C1009%2C601

If anyone has the lowdown on which chipsets generally work with FreeBSD
(especially with all the changes in 8.0), that would be great.

The above model works great on an old 4.11 box.  It's an FTDI chipset - at
the very bottom of the page they even claim FreeBSD and OpenBSD support.

dmesg:

uhub2: Genesys Logic USB Hub, class 9/0, rev 1.01/0.11, addr 2
ucom0: FTDI USB FAST SERIAL ADAPTER, rev 2.00/5.00, addr 3
[...]
ucom11: FTDI USB FAST SERIAL ADAPTER, rev 2.00/5.00, addr 8
[...]
uhub3: Genesys Logic USB Hub, class 9/0, rev 1.01/0.12, addr 9
ucom12: FTDI USB FAST SERIAL ADAPTER, rev 2.00/5.00, addr 10
[...]
ucom15: FTDI USB FAST SERIAL ADAPTER, rev 2.00/5.00, addr 11

Charles