ZFS on top of GELI

Dan Naumov dan.naumov at gmail.com
Sun Jan 10 19:28:52 UTC 2010

On Sun, Jan 10, 2010 at 8:46 PM, Damian Gerow <dgerow at afflictions.org> wrote:
> Dan Naumov wrote:
> : Yes, this is what I was basically considering:
> :
> : new AHCI driver => 40gb Intel SSD => UFS2 with Softupdates for the
> : system installation
> : new AHCI driver => 2 x 2tb disks, each fully encrypted with geli => 2
> : geli vdevs for a ZFS mirror for important data
>
> If performance is an issue, you may want to consider carving off a partition
> on that SSD, geli-fying it, and using it as a ZIL device.  You'll probably
> see a marked performance improvement with such a setup.

That is true, but using a single device for a dedicated ZIL is a huge
no-no, considering it's an intent log, it's used to reconstruct the
pool in case of a power failure for example, should such an event
occur at the same time as a ZIL provider dies, you lose the entire
pool because there is no way to recover it, so if ZIL gets put
"elsewhere", that elsewhere really should be a mirror and sadly I
don't see myself affording to use 2 SSDs for my setup :)

- Sincerely,
Dan Naumov