ZFS on top of GELI

Dan Naumov dan.naumov at gmail.com
Sun Jan 10 15:08:39 UTC 2010

Hello list.

I am evaluating options for my new upcoming storage system, where for
various reasons the data will be stored on 2 x 2tb SATA disk in a
mirror and has to be encrypted (a 40gb Intel SSD will be used for the
system disk). Right now I am considering the options of FreeBSD with
GELI+ZFS and Debian Linux with MDRAID and cryptofs. Has anyone here
made any benchmarks regarding how much of a performance hit is caused
by using 2 geli devices as vdevs for a ZFS mirror pool in FreeBSD (a
similar configuration is described here:
http://blog.experimentalworks.net/2008/03/setting-up-an-encrypted-zfs-with-freebsd/)?
Some direct comparisons using bonnie++ or similar, showing the number
differences of "this is read/write/IOPS on top of a ZFS mirror and
this is read/write/IOPS on top of a ZFS mirror using GELI" would be
nice.

I am mostly interested in benchmarks on lower end hardware, the system
is an Atom 330 which is currently using Windows 2008 server with
TrueCrypt in a non-raid configuration and with that setup, I am
getting roughly 55mb/s reads and writes when using TrueCrypt
(nonencrypted it's around 115mb/s).

Thanks.

- Sincerely,
Dan Naumov