ZFS performance degradation over time

Garrett Moore garrettmoore at gmail.com
Fri Jan 8 16:31:57 UTC 2010

No, I haven't isolated the cause to only be uptime related. In my original
email I mentioned that "as suggested by someone in the thread, it's probably
not directly related to system uptime, but instead related to usage - the
more usage, the worse the performance."

I've been starting my system with different combinations of applications
running to see what access patterns cause the most slowdown. So far, I don't
have enough data to give anything concrete.

This weekend I'll try some tests such as the one you describe, and see what
happens. I have a strong suspicion that rTorrent is to blame, since I
haven't seen major slowdowns in the last few days with rTorrent not running.
rTorrent preallocates the space needed for the file download (and I'm
downloading large 4GB+ files using it), and then writes to them in an
unpredictable pattern, so maybe ZFS doesn't like being touched this way?