Panic on 8-STABLE in mpt(4) on a DELL PowerEdge R300

Lorenzo Perone lopez.on.the.lists at yellowspace.net
Thu Feb 25 21:11:05 UTC 2010

Hello,

I just got a PowerEdge R300, which netbooted fine with 7.2-STABLE
(FreeBSD 7.2-STABLE #6: Wed Dec  2 01:25:52 CET 2009), but is dropping
me into a panic right at boot with 8.0-STABLE (just built).

This is what I'm getting (please forgive the lazyness of not
transcribing everything..):

http://lorenzo.yellowspace.net/R300_mpt_panic.gif

An excerpt:

current process = 8 (mpt_raid0)
Stopped at xpt_rescan+0x14:    movq(%rsi),%rdx

After just rebuilding the kernel with debug symbols, DDB and KDB, and
booting with boot -d, I'm dropped into kdb but I cannot do anything
there, at least not via the vKVM of the DRAC (I would have liked to
trace, but it won't work..)

The controller is the SAS 6i/R.

If I can provide any other details please let me know.

Thanx a lot for taking your time,

Regards,

Lorenzo