RELENG_8 ignoring TCP window size? [Was: Re: Help for TCP understanding wanted, ACK-MSS-Window [Was: Re: best practice to watch TCP parms of established sockets]]

Harald Schmalzbauer h.schmalzbauer at omnilan.de
Thu Feb 18 16:24:08 UTC 2010

Stephen Hurd schrieb am 18.02.2010 17:09 (localtime):
> A TCP SHOULD implement a delayed ACK, but an ACK should not be
> excessively delayed; in particular, the delay MUST be less than 0.5
> seconds, and in a stream of full-sized segments there SHOULD be an ACK
> for at least every second segment.

That's why I asked for help understandig TCP. I'm surely wrong then. I
thought the ACK segment gets sent after the transfer of n segments
equals windows-size. I don't undesrtand that window size yet... I'm back
into my books

> The idea of delayed ACKs is to allow an ACK to be sent with data if
> there will be data sent right away, not to combine ACKs... leaving out
> ACKs makes calculation of RTT problematical which causes performance
> problems all over the place... maybe the dearth of ACKs from the windows
> system is causing the problem?

The problem is not with the windows box, these transfer rates are
sensible. The problem is with two RELENG_8 machines.

I'm doing this whole thing because I observed slowdowns under 20MB/s and
I try to reproduce and investigate this. But first I have to get the
idea right... If I don't understamd things going on when transfers make
sense, I won't be able to determine what happens when transfers are
slowed down...

Thanks,

-Harry