ZFS tuning [was: hardware for home use large storage]

jhell jhell at DataIX.net
Wed Feb 17 08:42:36 UTC 2010

On Tue, 16 Feb 2010 12:06, bp@ wrote:
> On 2/15/10 7:49 PM, jhell wrote:
>
>> As I make final modifications to the script I will keep the below URLs
>> updated and welcome any bug reports or modification requests to me
>> personally.
>>
>> Here is the URLs:
>> http://jhell.googlecode.com/files/arc_summary.pl
>> http://jhell.googlecode.com/files/arc_summary.pl.asc
>
> Nice.  How about including relevant lines from /boot/loader.conf, maybe
> something like this tacked on the end of the script (excuse my Perl, I'm a
> Python guy).
>
> ----
> #### Loader Settings #############
> open(LOADER, '/boot/loader.conf');
> print "\n/boot/loader.conf settings:\n";
> while (<LOADER>){
>    chomp;
>    if (/^\s*(zfs|vfs\.zfs|vm\.kmem)/){
>        print "\t$_\n";
>    }
> }
> ----
>
> Yes, it should more or less duplicate the sysctl values, but it may make it
> more obvious where the settings are coming from, or if the user has bad or
> ignored settings
>
> 	Barry

Hi Barry,

 	This is a very nice idea so please do not get me wrong when I say
that I would rather stay away from having to open config files and start
comparing results. I don't feel that this is in the place of the script to
do this type of action and can lead to confusion upon the users behalf.

sysctl(8) is by far better off getting the values from a running system
rather than parsing values obtained from a file that does not change the
system except for after a reboot upon which the values outlined in
loader.conf can be obtained from sysctl mibs.

The latest version of the script that I have uploaded has the sysctl mibs
spilled out at the bottom. These are mibs that I felt were relevent to the
tuning of ZFS and FreeBSD obtained from various sources and memory recall
so I might have missed a few so if you or anyone else has a mib to be
added please forward them to me in a email and I will be sure to add it.

Regards, and thanks for the feedback.

--

  jhell