booting off a ZFS pool consisting of multiple striped mirror vdevs

Dan Naumov dan.naumov at gmail.com
Sat Feb 13 20:04:33 UTC 2010

Hello

I have succesfully tested and used a "full ZFS install" of FreeBSD 8.0
on both single disk and mirror disk configurations using both MBR and
GPT partitioning. AFAIK, with the more recent -CURRENT and -STABLE it
is also possible to boot off a root filesystem located on raidz/raidz2
pools. But what about booting off pools consisting of multiple striped
mirror or raidz vdevs? Like this:

Assume each disk looks like a half of a traditional ZFS mirror root
configuration using GPT

1: freebsd-boot
2: freebsd-swap
3: freebsd-zfs

|disk1+disk2| + |disk3+disk4| + |disk5+disk6|

My logic tells me that while booting off any of the 6 disks, boot0 and
boot1 stage should obviously work fine, but what about the boot2
stage? Can it properly handle booting off a root filesystem thats
striped across 3 mirror vdevs or is booting off a single mirror vdev
the best that one can do right now?

- Sincerely,
Dan Naumov