NFS write corruption on 8.0-RELEASE

Rick Macklem rmacklem at uoguelph.ca
Fri Feb 12 17:26:29 UTC 2010

On Thu, 11 Feb 2010, John Baldwin wrote:

[good stuff snipped]

>> Case1: single currupted block 3779CF88-3779FFFF (12408 bytes).
>> Data in block is shifted 68 bytes up, loosing first 68 bytes are
>> filling last 68 bytes with garbage. Interestingly, among that garbage
>> is my hostname.
>
> Is it the hostname of the server or the client?

My guess is that hades.panopticon (or something like that:-) is the
client. The garbage is 4 bytes (80 00 80 84) followed by the first part of
the RPC header. (Bytes 5-8 vary because they are the xid and then the host
name is part of the AUTH_SYS authenticator.)

For Case2 and Case3, you see less of it, but it's the same stuff.

Why? I have no idea, although it smells like some sort of corruption
of the mbuf list. (It would be nice if you could switch to a different
net interface/driver. Just a thought, since others don't seem to be
seeing this?)

As John said, it would be nice to try and narrow it down to client or
server side, too.

Don't know if this helps or is just noise, rick