Strange problem with 8-stable, VMWare vSphere 4 & AMD CPUs (unexpected shutdowns)

John Baldwin jhb at freebsd.org
Thu Feb 11 13:57:23 UTC 2010

On Wednesday 10 February 2010 1:38:37 pm Ivan Voras wrote:
> On 10 February 2010 19:35, Andriy Gapon <avg at icyb.net.ua> wrote:
> > on 10/02/2010 20:26 Ivan Voras said the following:
> >>
> >> I can't find the exact documents but I think both Windows
> >> MegaUltimateServer (the highest priced version of Windows Server,
> >> whatever it's called today) and Linux (though disabled and marked
> >> Experimental) have it, or have some kind of support for large pages
> >> that might not be as pervasive (maybe they use it for kernel only?). I
> >> have no idea about (Open)Solaris.
> >
> > I haven't said that those OSes do not use large pages.
> > I've said what I've said :-)
>
> Ok :)
>
> Is there a difference between "large pages" as they are commonly known
> and "superpages" as in FreeBSD ? In other words - are you referencing
> some specific mechanism, like automatic promotion / demotion of the
> large pages or maybe something else?

Yes, the automatic promotion / demotion.  That is a far-less common feature.
FreeBSD/i386 has used large pages for the kernel text as far back as at least
4.x, but that is not the same as superpages.  Linux does not have automatic
promotion / demotion to my knowledge.  I do not know about other OS's.

--
John Baldwin