hardware for home use large storage

Boris Kochergin spawk at acm.poly.edu
Wed Feb 10 18:36:39 UTC 2010

Dan Langille wrote:
> Boris Kochergin wrote:
>> Peter C. Lai wrote:

>>> Mostly only because certain cards have issues w/shoddy JBOD
>>> implementation. Some cards (most notably ones like Adaptec 2610A
>>> which was rebranded by Dell as the "CERC SATA 1.5/6ch" back in the
>>> day) won't let you run the drives in passthrough mode and seem to
>>> all want to stick their grubby little RAID paws into your JBOD setup
>>> (i.e. the only way to have minimal
>>> participation from the "hardware" RAID is to set each disk as its
>>> own RAID-0/volume in the controller BIOS) which then cascades into
>>> issues with SMART, AHCI, "triple caching"/write reordering, etc on
>>> the FreeBSD side (the controller's own craptastic cache, ZFS vdev
>>> cache, vmm/app cache, oh my!). So *some* people go with something
>>> tried-and-true (basically bordering on server-level cards that let
>>> you ditch any BIOS type of RAID config and present the raw disk
>>> devices to the kernel)
>> As someone else has mentioned, recent SiL stuff works well. I have
>> multiple
>> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816132008 cards
>> servicing RAID-Z2 and GEOM_RAID3 arrays on 8.0-RELEASE and 8.0-STABLE
>> machines using both the old ata(4) driver and ATA_CAM. Don't let the
>> RAID label scare you--that stuff is off by default and the controller
>> just presents the disks to the operating system. Hot swap works. I
>> haven't had the time to try the siis(4) driver for them, which would
>> result in better performance.
>
> That's a really good price. :)
>
> If needed, I could host all eight SATA drives for $160, much cheaper
> than any of the other RAID cards I've seen.
>
> The issue then is finding a motherboard which has 4x PCI Express
> slots.  ;)
If you want to go this route, I bought one a while ago so that I could
stuff as many dual-port Gigabit Ethernet controllers into it as possible
(it was a SPAN port replicator):
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130136. Newegg
doesn't carry it anymore, but if you can find it elsewhere, I can vouch
for its stability:

# uptime
1:20PM  up 494 days,  5:23, 1 user, load averages: 0.05, 0.07, 0.05

In my setups with those Silicon Image cards, though, they serve as
additional controllers, with the following onboard SATA controllers
being used to provide most of the ports:

SB600 (AMD/ATI)
SB700 (AMD/ATI)
ICH9 (Intel)
63XXESB2 (Intel)

I haven't had any problems with any of them.

-Boris