zpool vdev vs. glabel

Gerrit Kühn gerrit at pmp.uni-hannover.de
Tue Feb 9 14:56:29 UTC 2010

On Tue, 9 Feb 2010 06:26:58 -0800 Jeremy Chadwick
<freebsd at jdc.parodius.com> wrote about Re: zpool vdev vs. glabel:

JC> > I'm running out of ideas here...

JC> Would "zpool export" and "zpool import" be necessary in this case?

I tried that several times, does not change anything.

JC> Also, I'm a little confused as to the use of glabel in this case.  In
JC> what condition do your disk indices (e.g. X of daX) change?  Are you
JC> yanking multiple disks out of a system at the same time and then
JC> shoving them back into different drive bays?

I just did not want to do hard-wiring da-devices in the kernel. I have two
lsi controllers, and they do not even come up in the same order every time
I boot (mpt0/mpt1), let alone the disks picking up the same daX every
time. I thought labeling the disks would be a good idea to prevent all
these kinds of problems.

JC> Are you switching
JC> between storage subsystem drivers (ahci(4) vs. ataahci(4), for
JC> example) regularly?

No (not yet al least :-).

JC> I've yet to be convinced glabel is worth bothering with, unless the
JC> system adheres to one of the above situations (which are worthy of
JC> strangulation anyway ;-) ).

I would really like to know how this happened at all... meanwhile I used a
spare disk under a different name to replace everything round-robin back
to normal.

However, I just recognized one more thing:

pigpen# zpool status tank
  pool: tank
 state: ONLINE
 scrub: resilver completed after 0h0m with 0 errors on Tue Feb  9 15:50:01
2010 config:

        NAME             STATE     READ WRITE CKSUM
        tank             ONLINE       0     0     0
          raidz2         ONLINE       0     0     0
            label/tank1  ONLINE       0     0     0  11K resilvered
            label/tank2  ONLINE       0     0     0  10K resilvered
            label/tank3  ONLINE       0     0     0  11K resilvered
            label/tank4  ONLINE       0     0     0  10.5K resilvered
            label/tank5  ONLINE       0     0     0  11K resilvered
            label/tank6  ONLINE       0     0     0  15K resilvered

errors: No known data errors
pigpen# zpool offline tank label/tank5
pigpen# zpool status tank
  pool: tank
 state: DEGRADED
status: One or more devices has experienced an unrecoverable error.  An
        attempt was made to correct the error.  Applications are
unaffected. action: Determine if the device needs to be replaced, and
clear the errors using 'zpool clear' or replace the device with 'zpool
replace'. see: http://www.sun.com/msg/ZFS-8000-9P
 scrub: resilver completed after 0h0m with 0 errors on Tue Feb  9 15:50:01
2010 config:

        NAME             STATE     READ WRITE CKSUM
        tank             DEGRADED     0     0     0
          raidz2         DEGRADED     0     0     0
            label/tank1  ONLINE       0     0     0  11K resilvered
            label/tank2  ONLINE       0     0     0  10K resilvered
            label/tank3  ONLINE       0     0     0  11K resilvered
            label/tank4  ONLINE       0     0     0  10.5K resilvered
            label/tank5  ONLINE       0     0     0  11K resilvered
            label/tank6  OFFLINE      0    39     0  15K resilvered

errors: No known data errors

pigpen# zpool offline tank label/tank5
cannot offline label/tank5: no valid replicas

Why can't I offline a second disk? This is a raidz2 volume, after all?!

cu
  Gerrit