www/firefox: Firefox 3.6 crashes, Firefox 3.5.7 not

O. Hartmann ohartman at zedat.fu-berlin.de
Tue Feb 9 09:40:05 UTC 2010

On 02/08/10 21:42, Eitan Adler wrote:
> I have no idea if this is related but from pkg-message
> Firefox 3.6 and HTML5
>
> Certain functions used to display HTML5 elements need the sem module.
>
> If your Firefox crashes with the following message while viewing a
> HTML5 page:
> "Bad system call (core dumped)"
>
> you need to load the sem module (kldload sem).
>
> To load sem on every boot put the following into your
> /boot/loader.conf:
> sem_load="YES"
>
> On Mon, Feb 8, 2010 at 9:04 PM, O. Hartmann
> <ohartman at zedat.fu-berlin.de <mailto:ohartman at zedat.fu-berlin.de>> wrote:
>
>     On 02/08/10 16:20, Gary Jennejohn wrote:
>
>         On Mon, 08 Feb 2010 13:32:25 +0000
>         "O. Hartmann"<ohartman at zedat.fu-berlin.de
>         <mailto:ohartman at zedat.fu-berlin.de>>  wrote:
>

>             Today, I upgraded Firefox 3.5.7 (built yesterday) to
>             Firefox 3.6. After
>             deleting ~/.mozilla (after I did a buckup, of course), I
>             tried a fresh
>             start of 'firefox3'. After firefox showed up, I realized
>             that no
>             option-field (File, Extras etc) can be used, they are dead
>             and after a
>             few seconds I clicked them, firefox3 is crashing.
>
>             Since I recompiled firefox 3.5.7 yesterday I was wondering
>             if this is
>             due to some 'false' lib or dependency. Since I figured
>             that I have
>             similar trouble with Thunderbird 3.0.1 after I installed
>             it, I suspect a
>             faulty library causing this behaviour. With Thunderbird 3,
>             I never
>             solved the problem although I tried to rebuild everything with
>             thunderbird via 'portmaster -f'. I'll did this with
>             firefox 3.6 also,
>             but with no success.
>
>             The crashing is observed on two nearly identical SMP
>             FreeBSD 8.0/amd64
>             STABLE boxes (make world of today), up-to-date ports. The
>             crash is NOT
>             observed on my private oldish UP box, nearly the same
>             setup, OS at the
>             same revision and ports up to date as of yesterday. Maybe
>             this could be
>             a hint.
>
>             Any hints or suggestions?
>

>         Try doing "ldd /usr/local/lib/firefox3/firefox-bin" and see if
>         anything
>         looks weird.
>
>     I did - and there is nothing weird.
>
>     I checked the installed libraries and they are all rebuild when
>     rebuilding necessary dependencies for firefox3.
>

>         You can porbably ignore
>         /usr/local/lib/firefox3/firefox-bin:
>                 libxul.so =>  not found (0x0)
>                 libmozjs.so =>  not found (0x0)
>                 libxpcom.so =>  not found (0x0)
>         because run-mozilla.sh sets LD_LIBRARY_PATH to include
>         /usr/local/lib/firefox3 where these libraries are installed.
>
>         I merely deleted my old firefox 3.6 and reinstalled from the
>         port (on
> [...]

SysV smaphore (or sem?) are built into my kernel by default. The
error/system message when crashing is

socket(): Protocol not supported
Illegal instruction (core dumped)

and a core is dumped.

It is funny, as long as I do not drop down any menus, this crappy
Firefox 3.6 on my box runs for several seconds, then crahses unmotivated
- no matter whether .mozilla has been brand new or containing the old
stuff from 3.5.7. Whenever I drop down a menu, the dead comes fast.

Regards,
Oliver