one more load-cycle-count problem

Gerrit Kühn gerrit at pmp.uni-hannover.de
Mon Feb 8 14:57:43 UTC 2010

On Mon, 8 Feb 2010 06:22:59 -0800 Jeremy Chadwick
<freebsd at jdc.parodius.com> wrote about Re: one more load-cycle-count
problem:

JC> The DOS utilities submit custom ATA CMDs or data to all WD disks to
JC> toggle or adjust these features.  If someone could figure out what the
JC> command(s) were, the feature(s) could be implemented into atacontrol
JC> (8). Of course, that would require reverse-engineering of the EXEs,
JC> which would probably induce DMCA-related lawsuits (in the US).  Sad
JC> too, since documentation of said feature(s) would improve customer
JC> satisfaction. But hey, I'm just an engineer, what do I know.

:-)))
I would really prefer to be able to set this stuff via camcontrol or
atacontrol. Alone having to boot DOS with this machine (no floppy, no
cdrom) will be a real pain. And most probably the DOS tool will not be
able to see the disks sitting behind my lsi-driven controller anyway, so I
have to plug them elsewhere, too. Great job, WD. :-(

cu
  Gerrit