ionice in FreeBSD?

Jeremy Chadwick freebsd at jdc.parodius.com
Fri Feb 5 17:25:56 UTC 2010

On Fri, Feb 05, 2010 at 06:06:22PM +0100, Luigi Rizzo wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 05, 2010 at 12:07:36PM +0100, Jordi Espasa Clofent wrote:
> > Great work Luigi ;)
> > That's amazing... anyway ?is it production-ready?
>
> i would say it is pretty solid. I used it on my main workstation
> and desktop for a few months last year without a glitch.

I appreciate your work on this -- truly I do -- but the above statement
is incredible.  This is not meant as a flame-inducer, but there's really
no other way to phrase it:

This IS NOT what "production-ready" means to the rest of us,
particularly those of us in the server world.  A single developer
running such code on their workstation for a few months is in no way
identical to that of a heavily I/O-bound server.

I thought freebsd.org (or maybe ISC?) offered some test/development
boxes on the 'net available to developers who could test such code +
perform stress tests over long periods of time?  I'm probably mistaken,
but I was under that impression.