FreeBSD 8-Stable with Samba too slow

Johan Hendriks Johan at double-l.nl
Fri Feb 5 14:46:46 UTC 2010

>Hi all,

>I have just installed FreeBSD 8.0-STABLE-201001 to work as a file
server
>running samba 3.3.9 installed by ports.
>But, I don't know why, when I try to access the share by Windows or by
>Linux, it is so slow. I takes a long time to give the authentication
window
>and when I manage authenticate It keeps so slow to browse directories
and
>files. And the interesting thing is that when I reach the share with my
>files (*.iso for tests) after a long time and start a copy, the
transfer
>goes so good, in a normal gigabit speed.

>I tried compiling and installing samba 3.4.5 and had the same behaviour
.
>Maybe it's not a samba issue.

>I already have two freebsd file servers both with the 8-RELEASE version
and
>they're running ok!
>In this case, I need to use the 8-STABLE version because of my disk
>controller. So I don't know what could be happening.

>Thanks in advance!

Just a me too!

I had a 8.0 RELEASE server running on a HP Proliant ML110.
The server responded quick wit no issues at all.
I just upgraded the server to 8-Stable (No reason, just test) and the
samba speed drops significant.
Normally little files did not show the copy box, but after the update
all copy's to the XP desktop shows me the copy window in windows.

Same kernel file and settings.
Samba version is 3.3.9

Regards,
Johan